Monday, November 3, 2008

Faith

An interesting story takes place in Luke 8:22-25. Jesus invited His disciples on a journey with Him to travel from one side of a lake to another. As soon as the adventure began Jesus fell asleep. The story goes on as a rather large storm arises which cause the disciples to be afraid of their well being. Naturally, the ran down and woke up Jesus saying that they are on the verge of perishing. Jesus woke up, saved the day, and then challenges, albeit rebukes, them for their lack of faith.
The story hits home, for me, on many levels. One, Jesus invited me this great journey in following Him and sometimes I feel like He's asleep at the wheel leaving me alone to fend for myself. Two, in these moments of fear, and even abandonment, I cry out to the Lord and He's pretty faithful in providing me with comfort. And thirdly, as I process the issue I began to see where I lacked faith.
So, what is faith? A good Christian answer is that faith is a belief, or hope, in something we cannot see. What I've been learning is that faith is the belief in promises of the Christ (and that the promises are available now, not just when we die!). In the sermon on the mount Jesus was very specific on how to live a blessed life. Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven, blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted. Faith is an act of surrendering to the teachings of the principles of the sermon on the mount and through this act the promises of the Christ are given. This act of surrender changes our hope from finding security in our circumstances to finding security from the Lord in spite of our circumstances.
Faith in the Christ allows us to be confident in the midst of our storms. It actually produces a peace in our storm to the extent that we find no fear. Jesus was pushing His disciples to have this level of faith. He was preparing them for what were to lie ahead of them. When being persecuted, famished, or being faced with any other circumstance their faith in the promises of the Christ would provide them a peace that would surpass all understanding.
The promises of the Christ will not return void.

No comments: